Short Stories

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

THE INDUSTRY 4



Recap: “Segun!” that was my dad calling out my name, I got out of bed, Shina still sleeping a new born, “Sir” I shouted as I replied. I opened the door and he was standing there as if he had come to arrest me, “Daddy ki lo sele (Daddy what is wrong)”, I jokingly asked; he wasn't in the mood to play, perhaps my sisters had offended him again and he was here to report them to me, “Who is Terri?”, he finally spoke out, I was surprised, he wasn't supposed to know about Terri, I had just started talking to her yesterday and I hadn't even seen her. “Daddy what are you talking about?” Yeah, I was supposed to ask ‘cause I didn't even know what to say. Was I supposed to tell him about a girl I barely knew? Was I supposed to tell him she called me yesterday that she loved my music? “You haven’t answered my question yet” he angrily responded. “Okay, I barely know this girl, I had played at a show the other day and she called me to tell me she loved my music, that’s all sir”.


What do you mean by you don’t know what’s going on? This Terri came around yesterday and started talking about how you two had met at a nightclub and how intimate you guys have become in such a short while”, he further protested. My jaws had dropped even before he finished his statement. Why would she come to my house in the first place? Isn’t she taking it too far now? Different questions ran through my mind and I couldn’t find better answers, I just felt I needed to see her immediately so I could express my discontent at what she had done. “Daddy, listen. Firstly, I didn’t meet her at a nightclub; I don’t know why she came up with that. Secondly, we just started talking yesterday. I woke up to see her text and I didn’t even pay attention at first but she wouldn’t stop calling so I had to just listen to what she had to say”, I convincingly said. “See boy, I want you to go far in life that’s why I don’t want all these club girls near you. They will only make you lose your focus; I don’t want that to happen to you. I know you have someone you look up to but I want you to be that artiste with character. The one that will change the face of Nigerian music forever”, he concluded as he patted me on the head. I was tearing now. My dad and I caught feelings a lot but this was on a different level, he had looked for the perfect way to plant one of his philosophies in me. Now in his arms, “Thank you so much daddy. I won’t forget these things you have just said and I will make you very proud”, I tearfully said. He held me tighter and he kissed my head (that Jaden and Will kind of moment). We were in that position for another 120 seconds and finally, he reluctantly let go of me. I walked into my room with teary eyes. Shina was already up, “What’s up bro?” he called out from bed. “You needed to see the Nigerian version of ‘The Pursuit of Happyness’ (the first movie that featured both Will Smith and his son Jaden), my dad was all over me”, I jokingly said. My dad and I always shared this connection I never shared with anybody else. Ever since we lost our mum, he had tried his best to play the roles of both parents and trust me, he successfully played that role and I often called him ‘Clark Kent’ because he always saved me from any mess I got myself into. “See, the girl wey you carry my number give don dey pass her boundaries o. You no go believe say she come here yesterday cun dey tell my papa say na for club we been meet and say she and I don dey very close. Abeg warn her if you see her cuz I go even change am for her if I see her today”, I protested! “Dude calm down, if girls don dey trip for person, dem fit go any length to get that person attention, you no fit blame am now, she wan dey with K.dot in the making”, he sentimentally replied. Come to think of it, I had just started talking to Terri the day before and prior to that day, I had no idea who she was or how she looked. I still didn’t have any idea how she looked ‘cause I hadn’t met her yet, I was supposed to go on a date with her this particular day but she had just ruined that. I was not interested in any date again. Shina got up from bed and he was heading to the toilet. I was trying to put my room in place when Terri’s call came in. “Speaking of the devil”, I thought to myself. I reluctantly picked up…
Me; Yeah (my trademark way of starting a phone conversation)
Terri: Good morning Keejas, How was your night?
Me: It was great, thanks.
Terri: You’re okay?
Me: Do I sound otherwise?
Terri: Yeah, a lot. Anyways, I just wanted you to know I came last night, I thought I should see you before today so we could devise a proper date plan.
Me: Oh yeah, and thanks for the things you told my dad.
Terri: That was your dad? I had no idea. He didn’t tell me he was your dad.
Me: He had to tell you that? Why did you tell him we met at a nightclub?
(Shina came in and started gesticulating that I should take it easy on her).
Terri: I said we met at a show, not a nightclub. He probably misconstrued that.
Me: I’m not sure about that. He is not a literal guy like me. That’s by the way. What’s up?
Terri: I just called to ask if you could meet me at Shoprite by 3pm.
Me: Oh, you already picked your venue.
Terri: It’s still undecided dude, why are you acting up?
Me: I’m not. I just asked. You’re the one acting up now. (I couldn’t believe I wasn’t angry again).
Terri: Shoprite? 3pm?
Me: Uhmm, I don’t think I can make it today anymore.
Terri: What! We had a deal yesterday. Are you angry I came to your house uninvited? I’m sorry about that, I really am.
Me: It’s not about that anymore. Something else came up (I was stalling and leveraging because I knew she would press on).
Terri: See Keejas, I know it’s because of what happened yesterday. Trust me; I just wanted to surprise you.
Me: But I told you I was going to be at the studio recording. I didn’t get back home until 10pm.
Terri: I am terribly sorry.
Me: Okay. 3pm then. What’s your plan?
Terri: That’s supposed to remain a surprise, right?
Me: Yeah, right. See you then.
Terri: Are you sure I’m going to see you?
Me: Trust me.
Terri: Okay. I will see you later then.
Me: Yeah, see you later.
I couldn’t believe I had just spent over 20 minutes speaking with someone I had earlier been mad at. I couldn’t explain how but I didn’t feel any anger in me anymore. Shina was not surprised by the way my anger had easily subdued, he knew I had a very soft heart and I could literally forgive any crime in a couple of minutes.
It was a couple of minutes past 2pm and I was already preparing for my date with this charming and gorgeous Terri. I was very careful of my selection because I wanted to leave a lasting impression in her heart; I wanted her to feel like she was seeing a real celebrity. I put on my Vintage shirt and a nice jumpy trouser which I had just bought on Jumia, I was looking fly now. I had barely tied the lace of my shoes when I heard a car horn outside. I thought it was nothing until I heard a loud knock on our entrance door, nobody else was at home so I got a bit scared. I walked towards the door but not without caution. “Are you Mr. Keejas?” he asked. “Yes I am”, I answered. “Good afternoon sir. One Miss Terri Moyo-Wesley ordered a ride for you. She said you’re supposed to meet her at ICM by 3pm. If we don’t leave now we might not get there on time sir”, he explained. “Okay sir. Give me a minute, I’ll join you soon”
TO BE CONTINUED…

1 comment:

  1. This is really amazing. I love the engaging illusion and the creative weave of suspense. Nice Work❤️

    ReplyDelete