Short Stories

Monday, May 20, 2019

THE INDUSTRY



“What a shameless being you are! You have been away for almost a week without leaving a dime for us, how shameful!” Mama Sade protested. Baba Sade had been away for 5 straight days before he decided to finally come home to meet his enraged wife. The whole compound was growing accustomed to their frequent clash; it was only a matter of days before they began another brawl. “Oh, not again” I silently said to myself as I opened my eyes to see the supposed morning sun, the weather forecast I watched the previous night had predicted a sunny day in this part of Lagos Island. Surprisingly, the sky was wearing its eventual deep colored dress as if it had an occasion to grace. As the breeze blew through the half-opened window, the curtain right above my head fought as though it had been in bondage for years and couldn’t wait for its freedom. I hurriedly got up from my bed to shut the window. Back to my sleeping position, I took my phone
to check the time and it was barely 7am, “I haven’t even slept for 3 hours”, I ranted to myself. I had played some free shows all night and the organizers couldn’t even afford to give me TP back to my residence. I was about getting back to sleep when I got a Whatsapp message from Shina – let me briefly talk about him. Shina was one of the few friends I had back in my Lagos Island days; dude was my wingman ‘cause anywhere I was, he was sure to be there too. There was a time he even came up with the idea of doing menial jobs to raise some cash so I could feature A.G, and after the release of the song, we would hold a street concert, sell tickets for 1k and beg A.G to come through for us. It was a great idea but wasn’t worth the stress – his text read “O boy, you get luck o, after we gather comot for the show yesterday nah in I say since sleep no hold me, make I go find babe for the show. Everybody don dance go, we no know when SARS people enter that crib, Omo na fence I jump comot for the place, my headphone wey dey DJ hand seff, I no get time collect am”. I was literally laughing out loud as I laid on my back, “What the hell was he doing there again?” I thought to myself. After my performance, we had decided to leave together and yes we did leave together. “Hahaha, as you get mouth reach, ordinary SARS you nor fit face, anyways I dey my papa house, no forget say session dey for evening. I never get time to rest well, make I buzz you if I don wake up”
TO BE CONTINUED…

No comments:

Post a Comment